manual redhat grub configuration?

Thomas Neumann blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de
Tue May 22 15:54:08 CEST 2012

Hello

Maybe someone has already done this. I'm currently a bit at a loss on how
to manually configure a RedHat (or more specifically OracleLinux 6) grub
bootloader.

It seems most of the work is done via /sbin/new-kernel-pkg which is called
automatically while installing a new kernel image. However some parts are
missing. (Namely a default /boot/grub/grub.conf, some symlinks and
/etc/sysconfig/grub)

What I've done so far:

1.) Create a base image

yum --installroot=/tmp/scratch groupinstall Base
chroot /tmp/scratch/ su -
yum remove kernel kernel-firmware
rpm -e kernel --noscripts

[Maybe removing the kernel is a mistake. But I don't need it at this stage
and apart from that it fails to install properly anyhow due to a missing
/etc/fstab]

2.) configure repository

[modify prepareapt hook]
fcopy /etc/yum.repos.d/public-yum-ol6.repo

3.) create files & symlinks

[modify instsoft hook]

$target/etc/sysconfig/grub should contain:

boot=/dev/sda
forcelba=0

default=0
timeout=5
hiddenmenu

ln -sf '../boot/grub/grub.conf' "$target/etc/grub.conf"
ln -sf './grub.conf'            "$target/boot/grub/menu.lst"

4.) ???

At the moment I try to force-feed a working kernel boot config into
grub.conf manually, but I really like to do it properly. I'm not confident
that my manual intervention will survive the next kernel-update.

bye
thomas