make FAI refuse to wipe out /home iff files exist

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Jun 28 15:44:14 CEST 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Lange" <lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de>
To: "FAI Mailing" <linux-fai at uni-koeln.de>
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 12:52 PM
Subject: Re: make FAI refuse to wipe out /home iff files exist

>    > I would like to set up my FAI installation to crash or just stop if
> and only
>    > if there are files in /home on the original disk.
> Hi John,
>
> you can use a hook for that, before task partition is called. First use
> fai-mount-disk -f
> for mounting the local disk according to the fstab. Then check if
> there are files in $target/home. If files are found, stop the
> installation, otherwise call fai-mount-disk -u to umount the local
> file systems and go on with the installation.

Wow, I didn't know about fai-mount-disk. I can think of all kinds of things
to do with that.  For example, you could mount / and copy off the ssh keys
before the install.

Thats a nice utility. For years I've been pondering this kind of problem and
always figured that it was too much work to figure out how to mount the
disks before the install. I guess you guys think of everything.