make FAI refuse to wipe out /home iff files exist

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Jun 26 19:36:39 CEST 2012

All,

I would like to set up my FAI installation to crash or just stop if and only
if there are files in /home on the original disk.

Our users all log in with home directories mounted via NFS. But their disk
quota on the file server is only 6Gb so recently, we've been allowing them
to save files to the /home directory on the local hard drive. I would like
to make sure FAI does n't trash that. The problem is that we have not
traditionally had a separate  /home partition. There was no reason to until
recently.

I know we could configure FAI to preserve the /home partition if it was a a
separate partition. Unfortunately, its not.

PS: Yes, I know we shouldn't have let users save files in /home especially
since it wasn't a separate partition. But that was not my decision.