LVM is "inactive" on first reboot after installation

David Magda dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca
Mon Jun 11 21:37:54 CEST 2012

Hello,

I'm trying to set up LVM with FAI 3.4.7 on Debian 6. The various
partitions are created, and things install fine, but on reboot all the
volume groups except the the one that has the root file system ("/") are
'inactive'.

This is the partition configuration that I'm using:

    disk_config cciss/c0d0 disklabel:msdos fstabkey:uuid
    primary         /boot   500     ext3    rw,noatime,noexec,nodev
    primary         -       4096-   -       -

    disk_config lvm
    vg              vgsys   cciss/c0d0p2
    vgsys-swap      swap    8192    swap    sw
    vgsys-root      /       8192    ext3    rw,noatime
    vgsys-tmp       /tmp    8192    ext3    rw,noatime,nosuid,nodev
    vgsys-var       /var    8192-   ext3    rw,noatime,nosuid,nodev

So "swap", "tmp", and "var" are all inaccessible to the OS. An 'lvscan'
has "root" as ACTIVE, but the other three are 'inactive'.

Is there something that I need to to do to activate them?