Aptitude -t option for install_packages?

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Sun Jan 22 13:44:29 CET 2012

    > I edited my package_config files to include:
    > iceweasel/squeeze-backports
That's the way I would do it.

    > Now, when I create a new mirror, I see install_packages trying to
    > install Iceweasel from squeeze-backports. But the command fails, because
    > of dependencies. The Iceweasel package depends on a lot of other
    > packages; most of them are in squeeze-backports. Appending
    > '/squeeze-backports' to iceweasel only tells aptitude to get that
    > package from squeeze-backports, NOT its dependencies...
It would be good if aptitude would be more intelligent and do this for
you.

    > tell now, I should manually sort out the complete dependency structure,
    > and add all those packages to my packag_config with '/squeeze-backports'
    > appended. This is a lot of work...
No, don't do this. It does not scale well. Too much manual work.

    > Instead, I edited /usr/sbin/install_packages to include a custom command
    > 'aptitude-squeeze-backports'. It's the normal aptitude command, but with
    > the -t parameter. This sorts out all dependencies, and tries to get them
    > from squeeze-backports. It works ok.
Fine.

    > Now for my question: am I doing this right? Isn't there a built-in way
    > to get what I want? Hacking the FAI scripts should not be necessary,
    > should it?
No, it should not be necessary.

    > Can we add something to specify custom parameters to aptitude? Maybe
    > include them in [], like:
    > PACKAGES aptitude[-t squeeze_backports]
That's a nice idea.

Could you please file a wishlist bug report for that. Them I will see
if I can implement it before 4.0 is released.