Aptitude -t option for install_packages?

Jurrie Overgoor jurrie at stillus.nl
Sun Jan 22 11:36:03 CET 2012

Hello everyone,

I am installing Debian Stable with FAI. Debian Stable comes with an old
version of Iceweasel (=Firefox). I would like to install a newer
version. These packages are available in the 'squeeze-backports' repository.

The 'normal' way of installing Iceweasel from squeeze-backports is
'apt-get install -t squeeze-backports iceweasel' (notice the -t parameter).

Back to FAI: I added this repository to /etc/fai/apt/sources.list. Then
I edited my package_config files to include:
iceweasel/squeeze-backports

Now, when I create a new mirror, I see install_packages trying to
install Iceweasel from squeeze-backports. But the command fails, because
of dependencies. The Iceweasel package depends on a lot of other
packages; most of them are in squeeze-backports. Appending
'/squeeze-backports' to iceweasel only tells aptitude to get that
package from squeeze-backports, NOT its dependencies... As far as I can
tell now, I should manually sort out the complete dependency structure,
and add all those packages to my packag_config with '/squeeze-backports'
appended. This is a lot of work...

Instead, I edited /usr/sbin/install_packages to include a custom command
'aptitude-squeeze-backports'. It's the normal aptitude command, but with
the -t parameter. This sorts out all dependencies, and tries to get them
from squeeze-backports. It works ok.

Now for my question: am I doing this right? Isn't there a built-in way
to get what I want? Hacking the FAI scripts should not be necessary,
should it?
Can we add something to specify custom parameters to aptitude? Maybe
include them in [], like:
PACKAGES aptitude[-t squeeze_backports]

With kind regards,

Jurrie