OT: dpkg hangs unpacking

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 09:34:25 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Carsten Aulbert
<Carsten.Aulbert at aei.mpg.de> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Friday 10 February 2012 09:15:05 Natxo Asenjo wrote:
>>
>> This has been working great for over 3 years now. But since I have
>> started bootstrapping squeeze hosts, the system hangs after the first
>> reboot unpacking a specific package, snmpd.
>
> Any error messages? Or does it just hang? Maybe it's waiting for input, i.e.
> it spawned some interactive part which is now waiting. If you can log into the
> box you might see subprocesses of dpkg.

no, the output is just unpacking snmpd or processing triggers for man-db

> May I ask why this package is unpacked/installed AFTER the reboot? Wouldn't it
> be better if this was done by FAI?

That is a very good question, actually :-)

In theory from the dhcp option hostname, some classess are
automattically added for cfengine (things like: if the hostname
matches a regex, for instance).

But I will indeed add those packages to the FAIBASE file and my
problem should be gone. However, dpkg should not be hanging like this,
but this is not a FAI problem. It is a debian problem.

Thanks for your suggestion!

--
natxo