OT: dpkg hangs unpacking

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 09:15:05 CET 2012

HI,

this is not an specific FAI problem but if I may expose it here (I
guess some of you use debian + cfengine2).

After a succesful FAI install, the system reboots and it runs
/usr/bin/cfagent -qv  as the last line of /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh;
this way the cfengine2 agent contacts the policy master and the
policies get applied.

This has been working great for over 3 years now. But since I have
started bootstrapping squeeze hosts, the system hangs after the first
reboot unpacking a specific package, snmpd.

The only 'solution' is to reset the system, when they reboot one has
to manually run apt-get -f upgrade because some packages have not been
correctly installed, which really defeats our hands-off procedures :(

This only happens in real hardware, I can not reproduce this problem
in our virtual (vmware esx) environment..

In google I find lots of people with similar problems
(http://www.google.com/search?q=dpkg%20hangs%20unpacking). No real
solution found yet that way.

Have any of you guys come accross such problems? How did you tackle
them if you did?

Any help much appreciated. I will open bugs with debian as soon as I
can find out how I can debug this, as to now I cannot attach to the
running process, the console is simply unresponsive and the only
solution is a reset.

--
Groeten,
natxo