off-topic: FAI is too smart (Re: Direct FAI to install medium..?)

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Sep 2 13:43:10 CEST 2011

Hi,

> On Fri, 2 Sep 2011, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
>
> >Hmm, FAI doesn't try to be smart in any way - it shouldn't "find" anything, it
> >will only use whatever was configured.
>
> When fai-setup-storage detects any old MDADM Softraid Partitions, it
> tries to assemble/start them even when Sofraid is not configured.
> That is the reason why we wrote partition.DEFAULT which cleans the
> harddisks:
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda count=1 bs=512
>
> I would also prefer if fai-setup-storage would not be "too smart" ;-)

Thanks a lot for bringing this up, I wasn't aware of the fact that people were
troubled by this behaviour.

Although I'd claim that setup-storage is actually rather naive than smart in
this regard - it just uses mdadm in the almost simplest possible way - I'll try
to figure out a fix for your problem. If you have an example configuration
available and could send that along, that would be much appreciated.

Best regards,