Problem partitioning dual-boot

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 26 17:45:51 CEST 2011

From: "Michael Tautschnig" <mt at debian.org>
To: <linux-fai at uni-koeln.de>
> John, may I ask you to perform the following experiment?
>
> Could you start another install on a system with presently working
> Windows, but
> abort the FAI install before grub or the like are installed. I'd claim
> that
> typing Ctrl-C after setup-storage has done its work is the best way to
> achieve
> that, but that might be harder for you. If that's the case, maybe get rid
> of all
> grub-related references from the config space?

Is it sufficient to abort the install during installation of packages? I
know in a regular debian install, installing grub is just about the last
step. But I don't know if FAI works the same way.

What I did was abort the install as soon as I could after it finished
partitioning and formatting the disk. But it was already a few seconds into
installing packages by that point.

After running this version of the experiment, it wouldn't boot into Windows.
So I did a straight debian install and it still wouldn't boot into Windows.
In other words, while a straight debian install doesn't create the same
problem, it doesn't fix it either.