problem upgrading fai server

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Tue Oct 11 17:10:17 CEST 2011

* Natxo Asenjo [Tue Oct 11, 2011 at 04:06:09PM +0200]:

> in the process of upgrading a production fai server from lenny to
> squeeze I run into this problem:

>  fai-quickstart
> A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
> Setting up fai-quickstart (3.4.7) ...
> mkdir: missing operand
> Try `mkdir --help' for more information.
> dpkg: error processing fai-quickstart (--configure):
>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>  fai-quickstart

> My google-fu has found a debian bug

> But as far as I can see in this fai.conf there is no $FAI_CONFIGDIR as
> in the bug report, and that error is not exactly the same.

> I cannot find anything special on syslog either.

Make sure FAI_CONFIGDIR is set in /etc/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.conf,
since that's not the case on your system it's failing. (I'll commit
a check for this situation so people don't run into such a confusing
error message in the future.)

BTW: If you're already running a FAI production server you don't
need fai-quickstart anymore - so IMHO just remove fai-quickstart.

regards,
-mika-
--
http://michael-prokop.at/  || http://adminzen.org/