Problem partitioning dual-boot

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 5 16:41:34 CEST 2011

From: "Nicolas Courtel" <courtel at cena.fr>
To: <linux-fai at uni-koeln.de>
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 4:54 AM
Subject: Re: Problem partitioning dual-boot

> I have successfully installed some. AFAIR I have preserved the 2
> partitions that are used by Windows 7, and sometimes the diagnostic
> partition, and once Debian is installed os-prober inserts the appropriate
> line into Grub2, and both Windows & Debian Squeeze boot normally.

Well, I am installing Win7 via an autounattend.xml file because I'm blind
and i can't run the Windows installer. So I configured it to install
everything in the first partition. I can install debian to the second
partition via the netinst iso. If I had to preserve that partition, that
wouldn't work. So I don't know why debian works and FAI doesn't.

Anyway, I am guessing that this problem is more or less a result of the way
I'm installing Win7. But I won't be doing that myself in the future. When we
create dual-boot machines, my co-worker installs Windows and turns them over
to me to install linux. I may have to change my disk_config for that but I
can deal with that when it comes up.

I guess I'll leave it up to the FAI developers, Thomas and Michael, as to
whether they consider this a bug and whether they want to pursue it further.
I am willing to keep working on it but I don't want to waste anybody's time
just because I'm doing something weird.