Problem partitioning dual-boot

George Marselis george at marsel.is
Tue Nov 1 21:29:01 CET 2011

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 12:37 AM, John G. Heim <jheim at math.wisc.edu> wrote:
>> Did you, possibly together with a co-worker, actually try that route of
>> manually
>> repairing the Windows install? If yes, did it do any good?
>
> Yes, I just tried that and it did work. So at the moment, I have a working
> Win7/linux machine with the linux part installed via FAI. The message the
> Windows repair said was that there was a problem with the Windows startup
> options, asked me if I wanted to repair them and reboot. I said I did and it
> rebooted.

it's a known bug with grub-pc/grub2 : grub does not detect the
filesystem type correctly for windows vista/7 and just overwrites the
MBR, with no regards to the other operating systems.

the work-around was to boot from a windows-live cd/usb and fsck /mbr the drive.

it was fixed this past january, me thinks, but i would have to go
looking for proof. maybe if the new starcraft expansion proves worthy,
maybe, i will dual-boot again.