Stuck on 'switching to colour frame buffer device'

Marcus Karlsson mk at acc.umu.se
Mon May 23 20:36:58 CEST 2011

Hello.

We're trying to install Ubuntu 10.04 using FAI and are currently having some
trouble doing that. When we try to reinstall a machine it boots over NFS but
halfways into the boot it stops, the screen goes blank and the only message on
it is the line below.

[ 17.399034] Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 210x65

We get the same result when we use our old hardy-config which has been updated
to lucid as well as when we use the standard fai configuration from the lucid
packages.

Our NFS server is running FAI 3.4.4 on Solaris 10/sparc but the nfsroot was
created on a Ubuntu 10.04 host which was upgraded from 8.04. We also tried
doing that on a Debian 6.0 machine, both of them with the same result.

Any ideas of what could be wrong?

	Marcus