Installing Edubuntu with FAI

Dashamir Hoxha dashohoxha at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 19:47:06 CEST 2011

On 06/21/2011 03:37 PM, Dashamir Hoxha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have tried to repeat the whole process from the beginning,
> starting with a fresh edubuntu installation. Along the way
> I have also noted the steps that we did. You can find them at
> http://sourceforge.net/userapps/mediawiki/dashohoxha/index.php?title=Installing_Edubuntu_Automatically_with_FAI
>
> At 'fai-setup -v' I have noticed these problems:
> ----------
> Shadow passwords are now on.
> cp: cannot stat `/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/boot/vmlinu?-*':
> No such file or directory
> cp: cannot stat
> `/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/boot/initrd.img-*': No such file
> or directory
> DHCP environment prepared. If you want to use it, you have to enable the
> dhcpd and the tftp-hpa daemon.
> ERROR: No initrd installed.
> Log file written to /var/log/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.log
> ----------
> The log file is also attached.

I managed to find the cause of this problem:
On the config file '/etc/fai/NFSROOT' on the section
'PACKAGES aptitude AMD64', packages 'linux-image-2.6-amd64' and 'grub'
are listed. However, the first one does not exist on the natty
repository (so I replaced it with 'linux-image'), and 'grub' seems
to be a bit old and deprecated, so I replaced it with 'grub-pc'.

Probably on the Ubuntu FAI packages these configurations are right,
but I have installed the packages from
deb http://fai-project.org/download squeeze koeln

I have documented these modifications on my notes:
http://sourceforge.net/userapps/mediawiki/dashohoxha/index.php?title=Installing_Edubuntu_Automatically_with_FAI

I still have to retry the rest of the installation/configuration steps.

Regards,
Dashamir

--
Dashamir Hoxha
GPG: 4F97 4EDE C739 4C3D 361E 16D3 FD06 AA8E 55D5 9B28