Is DHCP server absolutely required - new FAI user

Patrick Cervicek patrick at failist.spamtrap.hs-esslingen.de
Wed Jul 27 14:33:27 CEST 2011

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Karthik Kambatla wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response, Henning.
>
> Sadly, we can't configure the existing DHCP server (the Department owns it
> and doesn't let students tamper with it).

we have the same scenario
http://lisas.de/~patrick/blog/?p=113

> Just confirming - do you think we can pass the PXE boot information through
> USB/CD as well?

yes, your USB/CD can still get an IP of the DHCP server, but you
can "hardcode" you NFS-Server to your cd.
simply add this this to your kernel boot prompt (in grub)

  ip=dhcp root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.1.1:/srv/fai/nfsroot-2.6.39 boot=live  FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,createvt FAI_ACTION=install

So you are not longer dependent on any PXE/TFTP setting on the DHCP
server

Patrick