disk partitioning (again)

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Wed Jul 13 19:43:45 CEST 2011

Hi,

> I would like to reproduce the following partitioning scheme in a FAI
> setup_storage config. IThe thing I don't know how to do is to create
> a primary extended partition. I don't see anything in the FAI docs
> on that. The first partition has to be preserved and then the rest
[...]

Hmm, setup-storage does have a man page, but it may be hard to distill that
particular aspect. I'll try to produce a suitable config below. I'm not quite
sure about the sizes, made a guess there.

> /dev/sda1               1        5100    40960000    7  HPFS/NTFS
> /dev/sda2            5100        9726    37161985    5  Extended
> /dev/sda5   *        5100        9533    35605504   83  Linux
> /dev/sda6            9533        9726     1555456   82  Linux swap / Solaris

disk_config sda preserve_always:1
primary -     0       -     -
logical /     35G     ext3  rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro
logical swap  1500M   swap  rw

There are several options to make this more generic, like using disk1 instead of
sda or introducing ranges instead of fixes sizes. Yet hopefully this helps to
clarify the basic question.

Best,