disk partitioning (again)

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Jul 13 15:27:19 CEST 2011

I would like to reproduce the following partitioning scheme in a FAI
setup_storage config. IThe thing I don't know how to do is to create a
primary extended partition. I don't see anything in the FAI docs on that.
The first partition has to be preserved and then the rest of the disk is for
linux. There is a swap partition and the rest is just mounted on / -- like
the default for a debian install (recommended for new users).  I've found
that for my end user machines, partitioning for /var and /usr, etc causes
more problems than it solves. For example, it doesn't really do any good to
have a /var partition because if /var fills up, the machine crashes anyway
because the kernel can't log. Anyway, here is the partitioning I would like
to reproduce:

/dev/sda1               1        5100    40960000    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2            5100        9726    37161985    5  Extended
/dev/sda5   *        5100        9533    35605504   83  Linux
/dev/sda6            9533        9726     1555456   82  Linux swap / Solaris