preserving ntfs partition

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Wed Jul 6 22:17:30 CEST 2011

Hi John,

> I have been struggling for a couple of days to create a dual boot
> system via FAI. I now believe I'm doing something wrong with
> partitioning. The reason for this is that I made a dual boot system
> by manually installing Windows 7 and then installing debian squeeze.

My first question is: Can you confirm that Windows 7 still boots after doing
this manual install? That is, it does boot with the fdisk output you appended to
your email?

> I then saved the grub.cfg file from my dual boot system and did a
> FAI install. Then I copied the grub.cfg back to the dual boot system
> and Windows 7 would not boot. The ntfs partition is there but when
> you try to boot from it, it gives an error message saying something
> about it being unbootable because of a hardware change.  If I re-run
> update-grub, it sees the Windows 7 partition and creates a boot
> stanza for it but it still won't boot. So I don't think the problem
> is with grub.

I'm not sure whether this is possible for you, but would you be able to send the
exact error message that Windows produces?

> While I seem to be successfully preserving the NTFS partition, I
> seem to be making it unbootable for some reason. Below is a segment
> of the output from fdisk before the FAI install. After that is the
> setup_storage config file...

[...]

Could you also send the fdisk output *after* running the FAI install? Your
setup-storage configuration looks perfectly fine, and preserving the first
partition should mean it's really not affected...

Thanks a lot,