preserving ntfs partition

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Jul 6 20:36:02 CEST 2011

I have been struggling for a couple of days to create a dual boot system via
FAI. I now believe I'm doing something wrong with partitioning. The reason
for this is that I made a dual boot system by manually installing Windows 7
and then installing debian squeeze. I then saved the grub.cfg file from my
dual boot system and did a FAI install. Then I copied the grub.cfg back to
the dual boot system and Windows 7 would not boot. The ntfs partition is
there but when you try to boot from it, it gives an error message saying
something about it being unbootable because of a hardware change.  If I
re-run update-grub, it sees the Windows 7 partition and creates a boot
stanza for it but it still won't boot. So I don't think the problem is with
grub.

While I seem to be successfully preserving the NTFS partition, I seem to be
making it unbootable for some reason. Below is a segment of the output from
fdisk before the FAI install. After that is the setup_storage config file...

So this is what fdisk showed after I installed debian squeeze normally ...

/dev/sda1               1        5100    40960000    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2            5100        9726    37161985    5  Extended
/dev/sda5   *        5100        9533    35605504   83  Linux
/dev/sda6            9533        9726     1555456   82  Linux swap / Solaris

This is my setup_storage config file ...

disk_config disk1 preserve_always:1
primary  /win          0-  ntfs  rw
primary  /             2G-6G ext3   rw,errors=remount-ro
logical  swap          500-2G   swap   rw
logical  /var          5G-20G   ext3   rw         createopts="-m 5"
tuneopts="-c 0 -i 0"
logical  /home          500-2G      ext3   rw         createopts="-m 0"
tuneopts="-c 0 -i 0"
logical  /usr          12G-40G   ext3   rw
logical  /tmp         2G-50%      ext3   rw,nosuid  createopts="-m 1"
tuneopts="-c 0 -i 0"