PACKAGES remove

Holger Parplies wfai at parplies.de
Mon Jul 4 06:20:57 CEST 2011

Hi,

Thilo Uttendorfer wrote on 2011-06-29 17:53:49 +0200 [PACKAGES remove]:
> I have a problem concerning "PACKAGES remove" in package_config files. I want
> some packages to be removed, lets say p1, p2 and p3. This works as expected
> as long as the mirror knows about all these packages. [...]
>
> My workaround for now is to add a "aptitude-remove"-command to
> install_packages because aptitude does not stop if one of the packages does
> not exist. Look at the attached patch. It's a dpatch, but you can easily
> extract the "regular" patch.
>
> Anyone else have this problem and maybe a smarter solution?

I don't have the problem, but wouldn't you get exactly the same with

	PACKAGES aptitude
	p1-
	p2-
	p3-

In fact, I *have* used "PACKAGES aptitude" with "package-" to remove packages
(dhcp3-client, dhcp3-common ...) in the past, probably because until now I
didn't know "PACKAGES remove" existed ;-).

That said, changing "PACKAGES remove" to use aptitude would seem to be a good
idea. Is there any reason *not* to do that, i.e. does aptitude's strategy for
removing packages differ from apt-get's?

Regards,
Holger