Updating /var/log/fai/localhost

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Jan 20 21:54:16 CET 2011

Hi Andreas,

[...]
> I found a line in /usr/lib/fai/fai-savelog:
> ln -snf $HOSTNAME $logbase/localhost
>
> but that does not do the trick. Any ideas?

[...]

The problem here is, that the above line is only executed at the end of the
initial installation, but not for softupdates. The function is left because

[ -d "$thislog" ] && return # nothing to do, if directory already exists

will evaluate to true and the return will be executed, not, e.g., the above ln
for localhost. Whether this is a bug or a feature is debatable. It's definitely
done on purpose.

Hope this helps,