setup-storage: preserve partitions until the layout changes

Manuel Hachtkemper hacman at math.uni-bonn.de
Wed Feb 23 18:32:49 CET 2011

Hello everyone,

disk_config and setup-storage both have the option to preserve "lazy", but the implementation differs. (My explanation is simplified.)

disk_config:
You want to preserve a partition then the logic is:
- partition has the same size, preserve it (don't run mkfs)
or
- partition doesn't have the same size, so you can't preserve it. Delete the existing partition, run mkfs and move on.

setup-storage:
You want to preserve a partition then the logic is:
- partition has the same size, preserve it (don't run mkfs)
or
- partition doesn't have the same size, so you can't preserve it. Stop here, so you don't destroy data.

I really understand, why setup-storage prefers the safe way, but for us the old implementation was much better.
Could it be possible to extend setup-storage with an preserve-lazy-unsafe option, that destroys data? Or does anyone already have a solution for this?

Best regards,
Manuel Hachtkemper