How to automatically boot from the local HDD after installation?

Huioon Kim pcandme.kr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 08:06:39 CET 2011

Hi, all.

I'm a Korean user and this is my first post. :D

The question is that how to boot an installation client from its local hard
disk after the installation?

I know how to automatically reboot the client after the installation by
using "reboot" flag, but in the next booting, the installation procedure is
repeated.

The client is booted via PXE when the installation is performed, so now I
should manually make the client to be booted from its local hard disk using
"fai-chboot -o <hostname>" command at a FAI server.

In the boot priority setup of BIOS of the client machine, PXE is first and
local hard disk is next.

The section 5.10 of FAI Guide describes that "Normally this should boot the
new installed system from its second boot device, the local hard disk", and
I think this implies that the client should be booted from local hard disk
after the installation without any configuration. Am I missing something
here?

Of course, I can remove the "reboot" from $FAI_FLAGS, monitor the
installation procedure using faimond and faimond-gui, run the "fai-chboot
-o" command after all installations are finished, and then go to the room
where the clients are and reboot all the machines manually. But it's
somewhat tiresome. ;-)

Do I know something wrong? Is there a cool method to address this problem?

Hopefully there is a great method and just I don't know it. :D

Thanks for reading my question and I'm so sorry for my poor English.

Huioon