Ubuntu natty: debootstrap doesn't install aptitude

Andreas Sindermann sinder at thp.Uni-Koeln.DE
Mon Feb 7 15:37:37 CET 2011

Stephan Adig writes:
 > Hi Andreas,
 >

 > On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 14:32 +0100, Andreas Sindermann wrote:
 > > root at faisrv:~# lsb_release -rd
 > > Release:        11.04
 > >
 > > The FAI /usr/sbin/make-fai-nfsroot script creates a chroot environment ('nfsroot') using the debootstrap command.
 > >
 > > At least with Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha 2 the debootstrap command no longer installs the 'aptitude' package by default in this
 > > nfsroot environment. As 'aptitude' is missing, the nfsroot environment stays incomplete and cannot be used for the further installation process.
 > >
 > > To resolve this issue, the natty fai-server package needs to be modified this way:
 >
 > Well, I would like to replace aptitude with apt-get in /etc/fai/NFSROOT
 >
 > can you test this?
 >
 > Replace in /etc/fai/NFSROOT the name "aptitude" with "install"
 >
 > Rational:
 >
 > 	As Ubuntu still stays with apt-get, we should at least try to use the
 > installed by default utilities. I don't know the status of aptitude
 > inside Ubuntu (I don't use aptitude myself), but having Michael Vogt on
 > board of the Canonical ship, I think it would better to stay with
 > apt-get and not aptitude.
 >
 > This is my personal opinion, and this is Ubuntu only.

This is someting more 'political' I would say.

In terms of keeping the original package as 'original' as possible one
better should resolve the aptitude dependency as described above, as
Thomas seems to like aptitude... :-)

On the other hand it might be a good idea to generally switch to
apt-get. But my suggestion would be to do this in the Debian packages.
Some time later the Ubuntu packages also would not rely on aptitude
any longer as an automatic outcome.

Regards
Andreas