Ubuntu natty: debootstrap doesn't install aptitude

Stephan Adig sh at sourcecode.de
Mon Feb 7 14:40:23 CET 2011

Hi Andreas,

On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 14:32 +0100, Andreas Sindermann wrote:
> root at faisrv:~# lsb_release -rd
> Release:        11.04
>
> The FAI /usr/sbin/make-fai-nfsroot script creates a chroot environment ('nfsroot') using the debootstrap command.
>
> At least with Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha 2 the debootstrap command no longer installs the 'aptitude' package by default in this
> nfsroot environment. As 'aptitude' is missing, the nfsroot environment stays incomplete and cannot be used for the further installation process.
>
> To resolve this issue, the natty fai-server package needs to be modified this way:

Well, I would like to replace aptitude with apt-get in /etc/fai/NFSROOT

can you test this?

Replace in /etc/fai/NFSROOT the name "aptitude" with "install"

Rational:

	As Ubuntu still stays with apt-get, we should at least try to use the
installed by default utilities. I don't know the status of aptitude
inside Ubuntu (I don't use aptitude myself), but having Michael Vogt on
board of the Canonical ship, I think it would better to stay with
apt-get and not aptitude.

This is my personal opinion, and this is Ubuntu only.

Regards,

\sh

--
Stephan '\sh' Adig