"clone" an example client?

Brian Kroth bpkroth at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 03:07:18 CET 2011

Henning Sprang <henning.sprang at gmail.com> 2011-12-07 23:54:
> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Frank Lienhard <frank at saliko.de> wrote:
>> I have an i386 client, which I installed manually and I'm now wondering how
>> to setup future clients "identical" to that with FAI
>>
>> at least to have the package selection transfered to the FAI config would
>> save a lot of work, I think
>
> you could use the output of dpkg -l
> but you should probably remove stuff staring with lib
> and you could install a basic system and remove everything that's in
> there already from the list.
>
> Also, there are logs from apt/aptitude that could show you which
> packages you installed manually.
>
> You could do something similar by diffing the /etc of the manuall
> system with the system after installing all packages to identify
> manually changed configs.
> If you know that you will install the system with fai after (e.g. in
> an early development stage) fiddling with it manully, you could use
> git ot etckeeper to see which changes you really made to /etc - or
> just saving all files you edit with %-orig before changing them.
>
> Henning

If the client is recent, aptitude will tell you what's been manually
requested and installed versus what's been installed as a dependency
(eg: libs that were referred to previously).

Here's what I usually use, though I know there's some other commands out
there to do something similar in a more elegant way:

# aptitude search . | grep ^i | grep -v '^i A' | awk '{ print $2 }'

Brian