"clone" an example client?

Henning Sprang henning.sprang at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 23:54:53 CET 2011

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Frank Lienhard <frank at saliko.de> wrote:
> I have an i386 client, which I installed manually and I'm now wondering how
> to setup future clients "identical" to that with FAI
>
> at least to have the package selection transfered to the FAI config would
> save a lot of work, I think

you could use the output of dpkg -l
but you should probably remove stuff staring with lib
and you could install a basic system and remove everything that's in
there already from the list.

Also, there are logs from apt/aptitude that could show you which
packages you installed manually.

You could do something similar by diffing the /etc of the manuall
system with the system after installing all packages to identify
manually changed configs.
If you know that you will install the system with fai after (e.g. in
an early development stage) fiddling with it manully, you could use
git ot etckeeper to see which changes you really made to /etc - or
just saving all files you edit with %-orig before changing them.

Henning

--
Henning Sprang
http://www.sprang.de