/dev/md1 is already in use. SW raid

David Dreezer dave at socialstrata.com
Thu Apr 7 02:30:08 CEST 2011

Hi All,

I have an interesting issue with one of our servers failing in the partition task. It's failing on the assemble with an error that the md is already in use

(CMD) mdadm --assemble --scan --config=/tmp/fai/mdadm-from-examine.conf 1> /tmp/BLcvisEctM 2> /tmp/gczYIUwN4C
Executing: mdadm --assemble --scan --config=/tmp/fai/mdadm-from-examine.conf
Command had non-zero exit code
(STDERR) mdadm: /dev/md1 is already in use.
(STDERR) mdadm: /dev/md5 is already in use.
(STDERR) mdadm: /dev/md6 is already in use.
(STDERR) mdadm: /dev/md7 is already in use.
(STDERR) mdadm: /dev/md8 is already in use.
(STDERR) mdadm: /dev/md9 is already in use.
(STDERR) mdadm: /dev/md10 is already in use.
(STDERR) mdadm: /dev/md11 is already in use.

Full format.log with mdadm-from-examine.conf is attached. We're using 4.0~beta2+experimental70. I've fai installed a dozen machines this week using this same disc config with no errors however this particular machine is a little different from the rest. While rest of the machines are Intel/ide 2 disk but this particular machine is AMD Athlon/ide 2 disk raid. I see what the issue is, or why the error occurs.

Does anyone have some insight?

Thank you,

David Dreezer
Customer Advocate, Social Strata, Inc.