the multi-nic issue...

Alexander Swen alex at swen.nu
Wed Apr 6 16:25:55 CEST 2011

hi,

I saw that some blokes in this group have had similar problems while trying to startup the fai setup when booting a server with more that one nic connected, resulting in a nic infinitely waiting for a dhcp offer. (hang at ip-config)
I've got the same. however, while most had the problem with nics connected to different (v-)lans I've got it with all of them connected to the same lan. (at a later stage they are bonded).

weird thing is that te machine every now and then (1 out of 5, sometimes 6 times) continues. the difference seems to be if the second interface is also sending out a dhcp discovery, then the first accepts the offer he's receiving while there will be no response from the 1st nic after a offer when the 2nd hasn't sent out the dhcp discovery message.

(tcpdump on dhcp server learns me:)

so resume:
situation 1 (not successful)
server boots
ipconfig starts and eth0 sends dhcp discovery.
dhcp server sends offer
nothing happens... (hang)

situation 2 (successful)
server boots
ipconfig starts and eth0 sends dhcp discovery.
eth1 sends dhcp discovery as well
dhcp server sends offer
eth0 sends dhcpd req to dhcpserver
get ack, boot continues
nothing happens...

now, it could be that the switch config has something to do with this (i mean, while I am tcpdumping on a remote machine I only hear what comes in on the interface, what not necessarily means that nothing more has been sent out)

thanks for any help
Alex

Met vriendelijke groet,
Alexander Swen