setup-storage and preserving partitions

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Sat Sep 25 13:45:32 CEST 2010

Hi Toomas,

> Hello!
>
> Here comes the log for the preserve_always:all case.
>
> Unlike what I thought the flag should do, it still tries to queue
> commands to re-create all the partitions. My interpretation of the "all"
> would have been not to touch any of the partitioning at all.
>
> Besides that, it would create the partitions with entirely wrong sizes
> (very small ones since the units are bytes). Thus, rather than
> preserving partitions, I think this would completely destroy the
> existing disk layout.
>
> It seems that this option needs more work before it can become useful.

[...]

Indeed :-) But well, at least some work has now been done:

- The problem of completely corrupting the table should be fixed for all
  versions >= 4.0~beta2+experimental14
- The preserve_always:all interpretation as *really don't touch this disk* is
  finally there in 4.0~beta2+experimental16.

Further testing would be much appreciated :-)

Best,