fai and cryptsetup

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Sat Sep 25 13:29:47 CEST 2010

Hi Patrick,

[...]

> My configuration currently looks like this:
>
> disk_config disk1 fstabkey:uuid disklabel:msdos bootable:1
> primary      /boot    250       ext3    rw
> primary      -        20%-25%   -       -
> primary      -        70%-75%   -       -
>
> disk_config cryptsetup
> luks         -        /dev/sda2 -       -
>
> disk_config lvm
>             vg   lisa_sys sda2
> swap        swap    RAM:100%    swap    defaults
> root        /       1G          ext3    rw,errors=remount-ro
> usr         /usr    8G          ext3    defaults
> var         /var    4G          ext3    defaults
> tmp         /tmp    1G          ext3    defaults
> root-home   /root   5G          ext3    defaults
> home        /home   60G         ext3    defaults
>
> disk_config lvm
>             vg   lisa_unencrypted sda3
> lenny        -       2G        -       -
> lenny-x32    -       2G        -       -
> sid          -       2G        -       -
> sid-x32      -       2G        -       -
> squeeze      -       2G        -       -
> squeeze-x32  -       2G        -       -
>
> Unfortunately setup-storage fails on that configuration with the
> message:
> "Encryted entry invalid in this context"
> No more information included in the message and btw. yes,
> the typo is included in the message ;)
>
> Any idea? Do I miss an obvious mistake in the configuration above?
> (I'm currently looking into understanding the setup-storage source
> but I'm not yet understanding it enough to see why this message is
> issued)

Thanks for pointing out the typo, it made debugging much easier; I'll also try
to make the error message a bit more helpful. But, well, debugging revealed a
problem in your config:

A logical volume must be specified as <vgname>-<lvname> and lvname must not
contain "-". That is, your LVM configs should be written as

disk_config lvm
vg   lisa_sys sda2
lisa_sys-swap        swap    RAM:100%    swap    defaults
lisa_sys-root        /       1G          ext3    rw,errors=remount-ro
lisa_sys-usr         /usr    8G          ext3    defaults
lisa_sys-var         /var    4G          ext3    defaults
lisa_sys-tmp         /tmp    1G          ext3    defaults
lisa_sys-root_home   /root   5G          ext3    defaults
lisa_sys-home        /home   60G         ext3    defaults
vg   lisa_unencrypted sda3
lisa_unencrypted-lenny        -       2G        -       -
lisa_unencrypted-lenny_x32    -       2G        -       -
lisa_unencrypted-sid          -       2G        -       -
lisa_unencrypted-sid_x32      -       2G        -       -
lisa_unencrypted-squeeze      -       2G        -       -
lisa_unencrypted-squeeze_x32  -       2G        -       -

That said, there might be further problems to pop up, but maybe we can resolve
them within the next hours :-)

Hope this helps,