fai and cryptsetup

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Sat Sep 25 11:47:33 CEST 2010

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently looking into creating a fai config space from which
> I can (re)install my notebook in case it needs to. However I'm somehow
> stuck at understanding the cryptsetup support in setup-storage.
>
> What I need is:
> - one partition as luks-formatted
> - on this partition an LVM volume group
> - in this LVM volume group a couple of volumes to store the system,
>   except /boot
>
> Is it possible to achieve this? If yes, how?
> I'm just thinking about hooking into the partition creation (as
> from the setup-storage manpage it does not seem possible for me)

Which version of FAI are you using? Current versions even include a
luks/cryptsetup example in the man page!?

> but how could I do that without the need to do the whole partitioning
> manually?

I haven't used the cryptsetup part myself, but IMHO something like the following
should do the trick:

disk_config hda
primary  /boot  200  ext3  defaults
primary  -      0-   -     -

disk_config cryptsetup
luks     -      hda2  -  -

disk_config lvm
vg           my_vg  hda2
my_vg-root   /      10G  ext3  defaults

Obviously, you might want to add swap space (probably encrypted, and maybe also
tmp in there), more logical volumes, etc.

Hope this helps,