Installing Debian Squeeze (i386) - No $HOSTNAME set

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Sat Sep 25 00:27:28 CEST 2010

Hi Mika and everyone,

[...]

> After installation finished only the base system (FAIBASE and DHCPC) was there,
> no GNOME and no GERMAN as expected. The login prompt on the second terminal is
> "root@(none)". No hostname set, no network configuration, "cat /proc/cmdline"
> says:
> 	BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz boot=live FAI_FLAGS=verbose,createvt
> 	FAI_ACTION=install ip=192.168.1.1:::::eth0:of hostname=gnomehost"
>
> Guess somehow these settings should be passed to the installation system.
> That seems to be the reason why only FAIBASE was installed (script "50-host-classes").

Could it be that setting the hostname from the kernel command line is more or
less *again* broken? Mika, explicitly speaking to you as you seem to be the one
most up-to-date regarding live-initramfs and friends. At some earlier stage it
was necessary to use HOSTNAME=gnomehost to make things work, then
hostname=gnomehost used to work. Looking at the code in scripts/live in *lenny*
there is explicit parsing of a hostname= parameter. This hostname parameter is
*not* parsed in the version in squeeze anymore.

Karl (or anybody else having a squeeze system at hand), could you maybe try
whether using HOSTNAME=gnomehost makes things work?

If this is the case, then we should definitely also fix this for squeeze (again
speaking to Mika as FAI stable release manager :-) ).

Best,