Installing Debian Squeeze (i386) - No $HOSTNAME set

Karl Wallner fai at karlwallner.de
Tue Sep 21 17:05:03 CEST 2010

Am 21.09.2010 16:36, schrieb Toomas Tamm:
> Perhaps stupid question but you did not mention that... did you boot the
> machine at the end of installation? If yes, are you sure your booted the
> installed system, rather than the installation system again?
>
> It sounds like you are still at the prompt of the installation system,
> not your installed system.

After reboot the prompt is still "root@(none)".

IMHO the selection of package classes works like this:
- In Grub menu.lists there is some entry like: ... hostname=gnomehost
- The installation system somehow detects this and should set the hostname <== This step fails
- The script "/var/lib/fai/config/classes/50-host-classes" selects package classes to install.
> #! /bin/bash
>
> # assign classes hosts
>
> # use a list of classes for our demo machine
> case $HOSTNAME in
>     faiserver)
>         echo "FAIBASE DEMO FAISERVER" ;;
>     demohost)
>         echo "FAIBASE DHCPC DEMO" ;;
>     gnomehost)
>         echo "FAIBASE DHCPC DEMO XORG GNOME";;
>     atom*)
>         echo "FAIBASE DHCPC DEMO" ;;
>     bear)
>         echo "FAIBASE DHCPC LVM_XEN_SERVER XEN" ;;
>     puma)
>         echo "FAIBASE DHCPC RAID_XEN_VIRTUAL" ;;
>     *)
>         echo "FAIBASE DHCPC" ;;
> esac

As the hostname remains unset during installation (and also after reboot)
only a base system is installed.

Guess this is problem has sth. to with debian squeeze or fai 3.4.2.

Karl