/etc/fai/NFSROOT

BITTNER Peter (D3S) peter.bittner at thalesgroup.com
Fri Sep 24 11:19:56 CEST 2010

Mama,

I can understand it's tedious to go through the whole FAI-Guide and try
to understand FAI bit-by-bit without hands-on experience.

If you want to start understanding the classes concept in FAI I would
suggest you check out two/three things:

 1.) The FAI config space (e.g. of the default FAI setup): As a rule of
thumb, every CAPITAL file name oder directory refers to a CLASS (i.e. is
a class name). This may start to give you an idea.
  * Directory names in the "files" folder in the level above the file
with CLASS names are the files that FAI copies (a separate version per
CLASS is possible).
  * The "scripts" directory contains 'CLASS name' directories, which
contain scripts that are executed when the class is active.
  * The "50-host-classes" script in the "class" directory of the config
space demonstrates a way how to define the classes active in an
installation, simply echoing the class name. Have a look at it.

 2.) Start at this overview graphic:
http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/FAI_Installation_Overview
  The explanations below it will make you understand more, and also
contain a link to the FAI-Guide chapter that explains "hooks" in detail
(which are basically scripts that can be made to execute for each stage
of installation).

 3.) Check out the Howto/Tutorial/User Manual categories in the FAIwiki
if you have specific problems. Many/some questions you come across have
been asked (and solved) before, and are documented there:
http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/Special:Categories

This should be sufficient to get you started.

Peter