task_partition & lvm ; FAI 4.0~beta2 exp36

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Mon Nov 22 12:25:46 CET 2010

Hi Mât,

Sorry for taking so long to respond.

[...]

> Today we ran into this problem again :(

Well, unfortunately I'm not quite convinced that it is the same problem. It may
be related, but not sure. Let's see:

> (I'll send you logs in PM).

I hope it's ok if I quote from the logs:

(CMD) vgchange -a n 1> /tmp/8wsOEujVJ4 2> /tmp/5IGEwxrwPJ
Executing: vgchange -a n
(STDOUT)   0 logical volume(s) in volume group "HEBEX" now active
(CMD) lvremove -f HEBEX/WOO_BASE 1> /tmp/gQaXBIln_D 2> /tmp/CANIq9LRKR
Executing: lvremove -f HEBEX/WOO_BASE
Command had non-zero exit code
(STDERR)   Incorrect metadata area header checksum
(STDERR)   Incorrect metadata area header checksum

> From what I understand, setup-storage tries to remove lvm parts at the
> beginning... which isn't what should be done as the lvm partitions are
> not "visible" since disks are not partitioned..

Well, no, that's not quite true - setup-storage hasn't yet removed the partition
table or the like, these are really the first commands. Looking at the other
parts of your logs the partition /dev/sda9, which is what hosts the LVM, is in
place!?

> PV/VG/LVremove(s) should be done after the command "parted -s /dev/sda
> set 9 lvm on" and before trying to "pvcreate"... Do you understand ?
> (maybe it's not really clear -> let me know)

I understand, and you would be completely right - if it were the case that the
disk label had been wiped already... To me it seems that something about your
volume group is wrong!? Is this system still available in this state, i.e., can
you either re-run the install or just go right were it stopped? IMHO you should
still be able to do vgdisplay -a, etc. and try to do the removal of the logical
volume manually. One question maybe: What is the state you expected this system
to be in? Did you expect WOO_BASE to be there? Could it be that /dev/sda9 had
been wiped in some earlier install and there's just some other information left
that made setup-storage discover WOO_BASE?

Thanks a lot,