bad interaction between fai and mkconf (mdadm)

Rudy Gevaert Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be
Mon Nov 22 09:48:51 CET 2010

Hi list,
Hi Martin

When installing mdadm with FAI mdadm gets a wrong config file.

During the installation of mdadm mkconf (which configures mdadm) is called.

mkconf uses the DEVICE variable.  During the fai install the DEVICE
variable is set!

Where does FAI set that variable?  (Is it even set by FAI, as I can't
find it in the source...)

In my case DEVICE=eth0. Mdadm expects something else ofcourse (like
partition or sdaX...) and configures mdadm incorrectly to check for raid
devices on eth0.

This clearly is a bug, but in what?

* The mkconf script in the mdadm package could unset DEVICE before the
script starts and as such

* If FAI sets that variable, isn't DEVICE a wrong name?

Thanks!

Rudy