First contact with faimond / faimond-gui

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Wed Mar 31 15:08:24 CEST 2010

    > "faimond -b" is a bit too restrictive. Using fai-chboot I am able to
    > specify a custom directory, but faimond calls fai-chboot without
    > "-D".
Since fai-chboot reads the variable $TFTPROOT from
make-fai-nfsroot.conf you can set the directory there.

    > 3)
    > Using "-b" (which is a nice feature) implies that faimond is
    > located on the same server as the tftp-server _and_ fai-server.
This is not a must, but a default for many site. Sure, you can put
your faimond script on any other machine. Just define $monserver and
install and start the faimond script onto this machine.

    >   - split faimond+faimond-gui into a separate package
There are many more parts in FAI (e.g. fcopy, faimon, faimond-gui)
that could be used without FAI or in a different environment. I cannot
create a package for every single pice. There's a tradeof between easy
setup of normal environments (when using few fai packages) or being
very flexible by having 20 or more fai packages.

    > 1) monitoring fai can be separated into a totally disjunctive server
You can do this right now. Maybe it's a bit more manual work so set
this up.

    > 4)
    > faimond-gui doesn't work (for me). I wrote a small init-script which runs
    > faimond as a background process.
This is not the indented use, normally it should be called like
described in the man page.

    > When installing a server some progress
    > information gets written to /var/log/faimond.log. But when I execute
    >   faimond-gui /var/log/faimond.log
    > then nothing happens at all.
In the enterprise edition of FAI you can do:

tail -f /var/log/faimond.log | faimond-gui -

;-)