resizing an lvm volume with setup-storage

Nicolas Courtel courtel at cena.fr
Wed Mar 17 19:05:36 CET 2010

Hello,

I'm trying to resize the /usr volume while installing a host in squeeze
with 3.3.4~beta2+experimental1, and setup-storage strangely removes the
volume before trying to resize it:

Starting setup-storage 1.2.1+exp
[...]
vg0/usr will be resized
[...]
Executing: lvremove -f vg0/usr
[...]
Executing: lvresize -L 8192 vg0/usr
Command lvresize -L 8192 vg0/usr had exit code 5
[...]

Following is the config file; as it's the first time I use this option
it might be wrong somewhere.

disk_config sda     disklabel:msdos bootable:1
primary     /boot          512      ext3    rw
primary     -              30GiB-   -   -

disk_config lvm resize:vg0-usr
vg vg0 sda2
vg0-swap    swap            2GiB    swap    sw
vg0-root    /               1GiB    ext3    rw
vg0-var     /var            4GiB    ext3    rw
vg0-usr     /usr            8GiB    ext3    rw
vg0-opt     /opt            2GiB    ext3    rw
vg0-home    /export/home    6GiB    ext3    rw
vg0-projet  /export/projet  6GiB    ext3    rw

I have also tried to preserve and resize the volume at the same time;
not that I find it useful, but just to see if it would work better: it's
preserved, but not resized. Looks to me that in this case setup-storage
should either say "don't do that you idiot", or gracefully resize both
the volume and the filesystem. Unless the filesystem doesn't support
resizing, of course.

--
Nicolas