Installing a Samba Domain Member

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Tue Mar 16 14:39:09 CET 2010

    > 1. After installation, I need to run "%ROOTCMD net rpc join -U
    > root%rootpassword" and "%ROOTCMD smbpasswd -W ldap-admin-password". This
    > works, but currently the passwords are in cleartext within the scripts.
The only perfect and secrure way to do this is not fully
automatically. You have to type in the password on the client. But you
may want to  download a (maybe crypted) script via https, excrypt it
and execute it. But there's always the problem of man-in-the-middle,
since the client can't authenticate the server securly in an PXE boot
environment. (Just a short explanation).