Installing a Samba Domain Member

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Fri Mar 12 10:40:59 CET 2010

Hello,

I need to set up some clients using FAI which will become members of a
Samba controlled Windows Domain. I have managed to do it, following
"Samba by example", but there are two questions remaining how to do it
with FAI:

1. After installation, I need to run "%ROOTCMD net rpc join -U
root%rootpassword" and "%ROOTCMD smbpasswd -W ldap-admin-password". This
works, but currently the passwords are in cleartext within the scripts.
Since the FAI configspace is on NFS, with root squashing enabled, I
cannot chmod these scripts 0700, since "root" on the client will read
the scripts as "nobody". What would be the best way to pass these passwords?

2. I also need to run "wbinfo --set-auth-user=root%rootpassword" on the
client. Apart from above problem, wbinfo expects a running winbindd
running on the "real" system, i.e. not from the live NFS root. I
currently run this manually after installation. How could I do this
using FAI?

Thanks,
Andreas