A quick question on setting the hostname

Matthew Bellizzi matt.bellizzi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 20:34:05 CET 2010

Hi all

First off   awesome piece of code.   I totally love FAI and it's saving me a
ton of time.

I have a quick question on setting the hostname of the installed OS.    To
be straight forward I really am not using any classes.   Let me back up  and
describe how I'm using FAI.   I QA high performance filers.   We have an
automated test suite that fires off a home built tool on a over 300 clients.
  For reasons I don't want to get into I'm stuck using a MS DHCP server.
 So what I want to be able to do is to apply scope wide the DHCP options 66
67  instead of stepping through each reservation and adding those lines.
My problem is I cannot do a scope wide hostname option.    I'd rather have
either the default host name by the IP addy of the target.   Which is what
FAI used to do I think.    I tried adding to a script a quick and dirty
ifconfig grep awk line to put the IP into the /etc/hostname file.   I think
the script actually put it into the running images /etc/hostname file.   The
best thing for me would be for the client to do a reverse lookup on it's own
address and use that value since all of the hostnames are in DNS with
reverse capabilities.

Sorry if this info is out there I did try to google on this

Thanks again for FAI