Unattended install without boot control

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Fri Jul 23 09:54:54 CEST 2010

    > "disaster recovery" scenario), but I could install a bare Debian system
    > on that disk using some ISP-provided ISO, then copy the FAI kernel and
    > initrd, edit the grub menu and reboot.

    > FAI would then have full control over the system, and would be able to
    > perform deeper configuration (partitionning as an example) than
    > softupdates, isn't it?
If you boot the FAI kernel and use a NFS mount for the nfsroot then
partitioning of the local disks is possible. But I doubt if you have
NFS in your scenario.

If you boot the FAI kernel and get the nfsroot from a local disk, then
you cannot partitioning the lcoal disk on which the nfsroot is located.

It would be nice, if your ISP would provide you a FAI environment.