Unattended install without boot control

Olivier Parisy olivier.parisy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 07:23:24 CEST 2010

  Le 22/07/2010 09:57, Thomas Lange a écrit :
> First, there's the fai-cd. This would be perfect if you can boot from
> an ISO. Especially for your disaster recovery environment, in which
> you will not be able to boot from local disk, I guess.
I'm afraid I definitely cannot boot from an ISO. Only

> Another approach is to create a special boot partition, which includes a boot
> loader (using a special config file), the kernel and its initrd. Using
> this components, you are able to boot the kernel which mounts the FAI
> nfsroot via network card, like in a normal FAI installation.
This is interesting. A special partition would not be of much help if a
disk just crashed and was freshly replaced (which is my initial
"disaster recovery" scenario), but I could install a bare Debian system
on that disk using some ISP-provided ISO, then copy the FAI kernel and
initrd, edit the grub menu and reboot.

FAI would then have full control over the system, and would be able to
perform deeper configuration (partitionning as an example) than
softupdates, isn't it?

Regards.