setup-storage without partitions

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Jul 15 10:51:23 CEST 2010

> Le mercredi 14 juillet 2010 à 18:28 +0200, Jordi Funollet a écrit :
> > Is there some way to tell 'setup-storage' not to partition the disks?
>
> I saw there is an option called 'virtual'

Yes :-) This usecase is quite exactly what it was intended for.

> Your disk_config may look like this:
>
> disk_config disk1 bootable:1
> primary	/boot	<yoursize>	ext3	rw
>
> disk_config disk2 virtual bootable:1
> primary	/	<yoursize>	ext3	rw
>
> disk_config disk3 virtual bootable:1
> primary /home	<yoursize> 	ext3 rw
>
> disk_config disk4 virtual bootable:1
> primary swap	<yoursize> 	swap sw

Note that "<yoursize>" in case of "virtual" can be an arbitrary value (such as
0), it will just be ignored.

> But your fstab will look sothing like:
> /dev/vda1   /boot       ext3  defaults            0 2
> /dev/vdb1   /           ext3  errors=remount-ro   0 1
> /dev/vdc1   /home       ext3  defaults            0 2
> /dev/vdd1   none        swap  sw                  0 0

True; but I'm not sure whether this is ok for Jordi or not...

> I have not yet tested this option, could you advise us when you have
> feedback.

I've been using the virtual option myself, but not in a
disk-but-no-partitions-use-case. So that may or may not work...

Best,