setup-storage without partitions

Jordi Funollet jordi.f at ati.es
Wed Jul 14 18:28:00 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I'm new on the list and new to FAI.

This is how the '/etc/fstab' looks like in my KVM guests.

#
proc        /proc       proc    defaults          0 0
/dev/vda1   /boot       ext3  defaults            0 2
/dev/vdb    /           ext3  errors=remount-ro   0 1
/dev/vdc    /home       ext3  defaults            0 2
/dev/vdd    none        swap  sw                  0 0

I don't create any partitions, but just make filesystems straight into the
disk. (Except for '/boot', which is convenient for Grub).

This simplifies management: LVM volumes are created on the KVM host and seen
as disks on the KVM clients. If needed, I can resize a LV or filesystem, or
even run an fsck, all from the KVM host.

Is there some way to tell 'setup-storage' not to partition the disks? Looks
like a suitable feature to me but I can't found it referenced anywhere.

The only way I can think on is creating a hook which takes care of creating
filesystems, writing '/etc/fstab' and mounting everything. But it makes me
feel that I'm repeating someting.