Custom package conflicts

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Thu Jan 21 17:40:50 CET 2010

    > I have a custom deb that conflicts with something in my kernel deb (which I
    > don't wish to mess with).  I'm wanting to do --force-overwrite.  Anyone have
    > a suggestion?  Maybe there's a way to download the package from my local
    > repository so I can install it later manually from a class?
There's a unpack feature in install_packages, that downloads and
unpacks but does not configure a package. I guess this would also fail
if there are conflicting files or packages. I think the easiest way is
to write a hook, which calls

aptitude -o Dpkg::force-overwrite=yes install <package name>

I hope this works.