squeeze, setup-storage and LVM

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Jan 8 09:31:44 CET 2010

> Hello all,
>
> In Debian Squeeze, the get_volume_group_list function from
> Linux::LVM returns sizes in GiB instead of GB, and setup-storage
> fails on these.
> As the module documentation says units are in GB, it looks to me
> like a bug in Linux::LVM, caused by a new default behavior of
> vgdisplay, which uses now Gib as default unit.
>
> However, I haven't seen such a bug report, so my observation may be
> wrong. Should I open a bug report?
>
> For now I have patched setup-storage so that it ignores the extra 'i'.

It's truely easy to make setup-storage eat this extra 'i', but what is the
correct solution? It seems that LVM switched over to IEC-proposed Gi prefixes to
mean 1024*1024*1024 bytes; should we then also change the semantics of
disk_config files where

disk sda
primary  /  80G  ext3  rw

means 80 * 1000 * 1000 * 1000 bytes and is actually smaller than

disk sda
primary  / 80Gi  ext3  rw

??

I guess this will cause quite a lot of confusion, but it would in some sense be
"correct".

For the moment I'll just add a eat-the-i-patch to setup-storage.

Best,