Small improvement for make-fai-nfsroot

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Jan 8 09:17:03 CET 2010

> Hi FAIarians,
>
> I had small problems with make-fai-nfsroot and hooks: the script tried
> to run backup files (*~) as well as subdirectories beneath my
> $NFSROOT_HOOKS and failed on the first error because of running with
> "set -e". This is not the behavior I intended.
>
> My quick hack solution is to delegate running hook scripts to run-parts
> (from the debianutils package). So only executable files matching a
> given pattern will be executed. The only drawback (?) is that scripts
> run in a separate process, so environment variables they use must be
> exported (in my case that's only $NFSROOT and $NFSROOT_HOOKS).

[...]

I'd vote for some consistent function within all of FAI that is similar in
spirit to run-parts:

- Execute all files matching a pattern in some well-defined order (usable for
  hooks in make-fai-nfsroot, hooks in fai, scripts in class/, scripts in
  scripts/)
- BUT: also honor a .source extension and correspondingly source the file
  instead of executing it in place.

I haven't checked the code, but Thomas probably knows right away: Are there even
more places where something like this would be handy?

Best,